[Magdalen] apples

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Sun Jul 30 03:13:31 UTC 2017

Cider usually needs a mixture of varieties. One year we pressed straight
Macs, and it was pretty bad cider. Adding some wild apples improved it a
whole lot.

Taste one. Does it taste good? Or unripe sour? If the latter, toss them in
the compost pile, preferably far away from the tree. If the former,
applesauce or Jay's suggestion of apple butter sound good. IIRC, Winesaps
are really great dessert apples, but not particularly good for pies.

Understand that apple trees normally drop a fair number of apples early,
especially if there are a lot on the tree to begin with. However, in your
climate, that usually would have happened last month. Up here, it was a week
or two ago.

Me, I'll have to wait a few months for my Sweet 16's. Meanwhile, started
picking blueberries (wild & cultivated) and red raspberries today.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com