[Magdalen] apples

P. Dan Brittain pdan.brittain at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 14:02:40 UTC 2017

On Sat, Jul 29, 2017 at 10:13 PM, Charles Wohlers <chadwohl at satucket.com>
wrote:

> Cider usually needs a mixture of varieties. One year we pressed straight
> Macs, and it was pretty bad cider. Adding some wild apples improved it a
> whole lot.

​I also have a Jonathon and a Golden delicious, but they aren't bearing
yet.​

> Taste one. Does it taste good? Or unripe sour?

​The later.​

> If the latter, toss them in the compost pile, preferably far away from the
> tree.

​That's what I had been doing, but I was wondering ​if I could make chutney
or something like that from them,

​ Understand that apple trees normally drop a fair number of apples early,
especially if there are a lot on the tree to begin with. However, in your
climate, that usually would have happened last month. Up here, it was a
week or two ago.

That's what I had thought, and we had dropped some - but we had that really
hot spell for a couple of weeks, may have done some stress,

> Me, I'll have to wait a few months for my Sweet 16's. Meanwhile, started
> picking blueberries (wild & cultivated) and red raspberries today.

​My blackberries are finished​, as is their jelly and jam. Didn't get as
many of those this year. I suspect the apricot tree, which was supposed to
be a dwarf, but isn't, shaded some of the canes too much.

Tomatoes are doing really well, start canning some of those this week; and
won't be long till salsa making time.

--
P. Dan Brittain
Harrison, Arkansas

Transcriptions, Arrangements and Original Compositions
Wind Band, Brass Band, Choir, and Ensembles

http//:pdanbrittain.com  Or  at Sheet Music Plus
http://tinyurl.com/yb9fl39r

Virus-free.
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>