[Magdalen] apples

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Sun Jul 30 15:57:54 UTC 2017

Chutney would be good. Apple chutneys are excellent with meats. My friend
Polly is a master of all kinds of chutneys and usually brings along one or
mi=ore kinds for my freezer when we meet in Lexington. (She lives in
Dublin, VA.)

Another thought is pie filling, although if they're sour you'd have to
sweeten that up a lot. I used to do it thusly: make the pie filling as
usual and dump into a foil-lined pie pan. Cover with foil and toss in
freezer. When frozen solid, remove and wrap securely. Return to freezer.
When the hankering for a pie occurs, or a pie is needed for some occasion,
make a crust. Remove frozen fruit filling from freezer, unwrap, and drop
into crust. Dot with butter. Top pie as usual and cut slits, or or do
lattice or whatever crust you do. Bake as usual for pie, no extra time
needed. This can be done with any fresh fruit you have an oversupply of.
Trust me, it works! I used to do this all the time in my "earth mother"
years.