[Magdalen] Ascensiontide?

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Thu Jun 1 15:38:04 UTC 2017

In a message dated 6/1/2017 10:57:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
scottknitter at gmail.com writes:

I got to  church last night for Evening Prayer and Mass, and the
ASCENSION card from  the hymn board was on a table in the sacristy with
a yellow sticky on it on  which was written, "The 10 days from
Ascension to Pentecost are  Ascensiontide." Oh, really? I opened a BCP
to p. 32, and it still says it's  Easter  Season.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Reminds me of my (too) oft told story of the time when I was
janitor of the family Methodist church and had the responsibility
of changing the hymn boards.  I used a set of names from the
Lutheran Supply in Minneapolis, and it included the old
pre-Lenten Sundays. A new minister was unfamiliar with names
for Sundays, but he let Septuagesima slip by without comment.
However, when Sexagesima appeared on the hymn board, he
noisily removed the name declaring:  "There will be no sex in
the Methodist church!"

David S.