[Magdalen] prophecy/prophesy

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Mon Jun 5 15:37:59 UTC 2017

Anyone here who tried to say "eye-zay-uh" would be assumed to be
mispronouncing the word and would be likely corrected afterwards. I don't
think I have ever heard Isaiah pronounced that way. "eyes-eye-uh" is the
only pronunciation known to me.

As for "Israel", I guess I'm a bit pedantic on this. The name of the
modern country is usually pronounced (in this country anyway) as two
syllables: "iz-rayl". I was brought up when singing canticles as a young
choirboy to sing "iz-rah-ell", and I still do on the rare occasions that I
get to sing the Nunc Dimittis, for example. In a religious context,
referring to ancient Israel, I think there is real merit in a
three-syllable pronunciation isra-el "iz-ray-ell". The final syllable "el"
is the most important part of the word, and to swallow it is to miss the
point that it's something to do with El, God.

But we too had "prophesy" pronounced as "prophecy" yesterday.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk