[Magdalen] prophecy/prophesy

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Jun 8 03:37:06 UTC 2017

On a proposal to the Government of Canada (we were bidding to run
their student-loan system, and lost), one of my colleagues was Alice
Blum. On a conference call, I asked whether "AL-iss Blum" was on the
line, and there was a pause, after which she icily said, "It's
a-LEASE." Yikes. Sorry. Lesson learned: don't assume you know how to
pronounce the first name of a Canadian called Alice.

Marc Hamelin was less icy and more helpful with his name; I can't do
the phonetics, but it's the French way, with silent H, and two
syllables. am-LA(n), sort of.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA