[Magdalen] Gone in an hour

Sally Davies sally.davies at gmail.com
Sat Jun 10 16:00:31 UTC 2017

Dear friends

I'm so sad about this...my childrens' school has burned down.

The kids who stay in hostel were evacuated at dawn with whatever they could
carry, the many staff who live there as well though some stayed and tried
to fight the raging wildfire.

The 30 horses in the school stables and various pets also evacuated to
safety.

For a few hours earlier it looked hopeful as a brave team of professional
and volunteer firefighters brought the fire under control and got it to go
around the school to make a fire break.

But then this afternoon a gale blew in (ahead of a cold front, so a dry
warm wind from inland) - and they had to get themselves to safety.

Last pictures showed the admin area, reception and some of the houses
burning.

The wind has dropped now but night has fallen...it's going to be a long
one.

Desperate as this is, there are people worse off. West of Knysna, which has
been devastated for days now because surrounded by forests, people had been
evacuated to a centre near the beach at Buffels Bays. That has now burned
and they are trapped on the beach.

Many have lost their homes, livelihoods and there has been loss of life. As
well, of course, all the wild animals who perish; at Woodridge we had a
pesky but cute troop of vervet monkeys and in the valleys around at least
one troop of baboons, as well as many other wild animals. In the Knysna
forest there are many rare animals and birds, not least the famous Knysna
elephants (and there's an Elephant Park there now as well as a monkey and
primate park).

It's unbearable and feels like South Africa is under some kind of Biblical
curse. Today we got news of another downgrade, this time by Moody's. And
our corrupt thieving National Government is nowhere to be seen, much less
our armed forces when we need them.

Please continue to pray for us...my boys seem OK but I think they're in
shock. Donal is in Year 12...how will he finish his school year and final
exams? What about the school play they've been working so hard on for
months now...?

How do we explain this pain and sorrow to kids who already doubt the
existence and love of God?

Sally D