[Magdalen] Clergy-musician dispute redux.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Jun 12 15:59:00 UTC 2017

In a message dated 6/12/2017 11:11:58 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
jay.weigel at gmail.com writes:

Well,  now that's just silly, Grace! Advent is Advent, after all! What the
actual  heck did they expect? If they wanted Christmas carols they should
have gone  to a Baptist church where they don't know what Advent is! /s
(Advent is  actually one of my very favorite seasons and has some of the
best music,  especially in the Lutheran  church.)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

In my hometown in NW WI, the ELCA Lutherans, Methodists, and Baptists
have all capitulated to the secular introduction of Christmas music
during the Advent season.  Only the RC's are holdouts. *The  nearest
Episcopal church is 50 miles away at Spooner, WI in the Episcopal
Diocese of Eau Claire - hence my "discovering" the Anglicans while
listening to the Coronation of Elizabeth II in 1953.

It doesn't even occur to my relatives on both sides of the family,
that there is an Advent season, though they have all embraced the
Advent wreath and candles, most often with the third rose candle.
There are early Christmas "cantatas", and by the first week in Advent
the local high school has had its Christmas concert.

A fellow British resident in dermatology at UM-Minneapolis used to
describe American Christmas as "a month of foreplay without orgasm."

David S.