[Magdalen] The Adoration Corpus Christi

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Jun 15 08:36:54 UTC 2017

In the Church of England the official title of the day is now
"Thanksgiving for the Institution of Holy Communion" which indicates the
rationale behind the observation. In the Eucharist we are expressing our
unity as the Church, the mystical Body of Christ, and are united with
him as we take the elements which are, in some way, for us the Body and
Blood of Christ. We are identifying with those gathered in that room
thousands of limes away millenia ago. In God there is no sense of time
or distance and so, in his presence, we are there with them.

Since Christ has left us this way of uniting with him in a special and
sacramental way should we not give thanks for this sacrament? To have
such an observation or feast of thanksgiving on Maundy or Holy Thursday
would be confusing since we are about to seg into the remembrance of
Christ's time in the Garden of Gethsemane, leading up to his
crucifixion. By moving it nine weeks later it can become a free-standing
Feast. It is no longer in the Easter season or in the days following
Pentecost, which themselves have been observed as a mini-season of not
quite an octave since there are only seven days, the eighth being
Trinity Sunday.

Roger