[Magdalen] The Adoration Corpus Christi

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Thu Jun 15 13:34:49 UTC 2017

Thank you for posting this Roger.
Lynn

On Jun 15, 2017, at 3:36 AM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com> wrote:

In the Church of England the official title of the day is now "Thanksgiving for the Institution of Holy Communion" which indicates the rationale behind the observation. In the Eucharist we are expressing our unity as the Church, the mystical Body of Christ, and are united with him as we take the elements which are, in some way, for us the Body and Blood of Christ. We are identifying with those gathered in that room thousands of limes away millenia ago. In God there is no sense of time or distance and so, in his presence, we are there with them.

Since Christ has left us this way of uniting with him in a special and sacramental way should we not give thanks for this sacrament? To have such an observation or feast of thanksgiving on Maundy or Holy Thursday would be confusing since we are about to seg into the remembrance of Christ's time in the Garden of Gethsemane, leading up to his crucifixion. By moving it nine weeks later it can become a free-standing Feast. It is no longer in the Easter season or in the days following Pentecost, which themselves have been observed as a mini-season of not quite an octave since there are only seven days, the eighth being Trinity Sunday.

Roger