[Magdalen] Thanksgivings and prayers

Kristin Rollins kristin at verumsolum.com
Tue Jun 27 22:53:26 UTC 2017

>From a Facebook post I just sent:

First things first, amazingly I am OK. I literally walked away from this
crash, thanks to the side air bag, a doctor from Portsmouth Naval
Hospital who was on the scene immediately, and first responders from
Portsmouth. A couple of minor bumps and bruises is all.

Now, to describe what happened:

I was crossing Effingham Street, little more than a block from home,
when another driver hit me on the drivers side, there was a whole lot of
turning over, before I ended up with the van on its side with the
drivers side on the ground (so presumably there was about 270° of
rotation there).

The biggest annoyance? My eyeglasses went missing. And the LensCrafters
we tried today didn't have any scheduled openings until Friday. So we'll
see if we have better luck phoning places tomorrow.

Of course, there are plenty of other annoyances to do with contacting
insurance and rental car company, etc (despite everybody we spoke to
being wonderful), and dealing with figuring out what will succeed Carmen
for our transportation needs.

And, of course, I am SURE I will be feeling it in the morning a whole
lot more than I feel it now!

* * *

For those who are Facebook friends, there are two photos of the van
there. The side curtain air bag deployed which probably saved me from a
world of hurt. There was a doctor on the scene in literally seconds, who
works at the naval hospital less than a mile away. So I was well
instructed (and prevented from doing anything which might hurt me while
waiting for the first responders to arrive…though he wasn't able to get
the collar on me, as he had hoped before I was helped out through the
cut-out windshield.

The reasons for prayer are mainly logistics: getting me new eyeglasses,
since mine went missing (and we weren't digging through all the broken
glass to see if they were still in the van, especially since they were a
cheap pair), figuring out what it will cost to repair or replace my
iPhone which has a screen covered in cracks and shatters (fortunately
the iPad was in its sleeve and survived without damage).

And on top of this, less than two weeks from now, we are moving. So this
is just adding to a busy time. And Heather and I would both appreciate
prayers for that.

And also, prayers for a relative in Canada, whose cancer has spread to
the point where a doctor last week suggested that she likely has weeks,
rather than months, to live. This family member was told one year and
has survived far past that, but the reports I'm getting from family
there suggest that things are getting worse. But we both have expired
passports and a change of address in days, so I am not expecting to be
able to travel for this… was not expecting to even before this morning's
accident.

Kristin

--
  Kristin Rollins