[Magdalen] Changing Tastes.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 21:47:13 UTC 2017

The last major store in downtown Minneapolis (MN USA),
the iconic treasure that was originally Dayton's, then
Marshall Field's, and finally Macy's closes this Sunday
19 March.

This store was the flagship of the company that bought
Marshall Field's and then rebranded all its branches
that name before itself being bought several years ago
by Macy's and rebranded.

Along the way the Dayton Company gave birth to both
B. Dalton (for Bruce Dayton) Bookstores, and Target
the latter which in turn became the largest part of the
retailer, and then  a separate entity.

When I left the Upper Midwest USA 31 years ago,
the down town sector was vibrant, with several department
stores, including a large Nieman-Marcus store.  What has
killed these old retailers is on line shopping.  Who'd a-
thunk-it then?

The final closure of what was downtown Dayton's is like
losing a family member to someone of my generation.
I wonder what's to become of the twelve story block-square
building?

There are a few smallish Macy's in some of the various
shopping malls in Minneapolis, but they can't replace the
real thing down town.

I can still remember the familiar jingle, "Everything's better
in downtown Minneapolis......"

David S.