[Magdalen] Changing Tastes.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 22:04:22 UTC 2017

Ugh...can't believe it. I sometimes wonder how long Chicago will
sustain its flagship Macy's (formerly Marshall Field's) plus the one
not far from it in Water Tower Place.

The flagship Field's always used to amaze me with what all they had: a
piano department, a book department, even a stamp-and-coin collectors'
department...besides all the expected departments. I haven't checked
lately whether they still have their wine department. The tea
department was run by Whittard's for a few years and then closed.
There's a fine food court on the seventh floor and a less fine but
serviceable one in the basement. The seventh-floor one has annoyingly
short hours but features Rick Bayless' Frontera Fresca and Marcus
Samuelsson's Marcburgers. And there's still the Walnut Room and a
Frango Cafe. I think the Walnut Room would be the saddest casualty if
that store were ever closed for good.

I love being able to take a CTA L train (it's a subway downtown) to
Lake Street and walk right into the Macy's store without going
outside. One used to be able to walk right into Carson Pirie Scott via
the Monroe station as well, but no longer. Carson's is a rather
stylish CityTarget now and doesn't use that entrance.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA