[Magdalen] Updates, Changes, and Re-Treads

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Fri Mar 17 22:05:07 UTC 2017

In a message dated 3/17/2017 5:09:57 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
oppenheimerjw at gmail.com writes:

Not  having a musician doesn't mean the services can't happen.
The faithful few  at the early services of this and the church I used to
attend have made do  without any music for decades. It's not something I'd
want to do, but it  happens, and it's not the end of the  world>>>>>>>>>>>>>

It's interesting that Sunday worship in Eastern Christianity
always includes music.  That's supposed to be true for weekend
liturgies in the RCC, too, though I've seen that rule fudged more
than once.  I think Christianity was born singing.

Even in the West, the norm has historically been the Solemn
High Mass with all its chanting and polyphony, and even
orchestral glories, and NOT the music-less Low Mass, which
is a medieval aberration.

I'd like to see anyone try to slip music-less liturgy by
Martin Luther!

What has happened in several parishes I know is the
a capella Eucharist.  All you need is at least one strong
singer (they don't need to be operatic stars), and congregations
can find, sometimes to their delight, that they CAN sing.

David Strang - Cantor of dozens of a capella   liturgies.