[Magdalen] Updates, Changes, and Re-Treads

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 22:35:03 UTC 2017

I was puzzled about your insistence that eastern Xtian churches always have
music, since the church I attend now and the one I used to attend are on
the eastern seaboard more or less, and have had a long tradition of
services without music. But then, it occurred to me that you didn't mean
eastern as in eastern USA. Oh well...
I assume you are referring to the Orthodox way. While they sing their
services, a lot of it is just chanting, and I wouldn't really refer to it
as music. Putting a choir together that can handle a service in harmony is
not just something you can do on the spur of the moment. I was in churches
in Moscow where one would expect they would have a pretty respectable
presence, and found choirs of five or six singers.
If something were to be a medieval aberration, I think we can safely say it
is a change whose time had come, since it has now been with us for
centuries. Aberration indeed.
It has been observed that lessons were sung back in the day. I think we
inherited it from the Jewish tradition. To this day, in some synagogues, we
find that the scriptures are sung.
I have been taught that the prophetic oracles (that would be the parts of
the Prophets which are set as poetry in the NRSV) were originally sung.
The speculation was that people could hear better that way.  I am not sure
about that. Who knows? Maybe so...

Some of the most moving Eucharists I've been part of were without any
music.

It is all well and good to strive for fine liturgy and music, but let's not
forget what is actually important. I'm a life-long musician, and I love
music in the liturgy, and I will do whatever I can to make that happen.
But does the liturgy have to have music? Of course not.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford