[Magdalen] Operation London Bridge

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Sat Mar 18 13:13:33 UTC 2017

Oh, yes, indeed. The Coronation Service is and always has been set in the context of the Eucharist. Only the Coronation of James II and his queen, Mary of Modena, did without a celebration of Holy Communion -- as a Roman Catholic he refused to accept the sacrament from the Protestant Church. Otherwise, every Coronation, at least from that of Edgar in 973 at which St Dunstan officiated, has taken place within the Eucharist. Since James II, monarchs have been required to be in full communion with the English Church, and to receive communion at their Coronation.

Since the Coronation of James I in 1603, the Coronation has been in English and the Eucharist has been according to the Book of Common Prayer.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw
simon at kershaw.org.uk