[Magdalen] Lent Madness

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Sun Mar 19 04:42:22 UTC 2017

Nothing is for everybody.  Forward Movement probably adopted Lent Madness
because they figured it was a way to take the stodginess out of lent and
encourage more education about our saints.

In the literal sense, of course, the "saintly smack-down" is just dreadful,
but it is all meant tongue-in-cheek, and you get a flavor of that in the
comments people leave. They adamantly advocate outrageously for their
favorite saint, but also there is a lot of thinking about how one can (or
cannot) balance one saint against another, and there is a lot of meditation
on what a saint stood/stands for.

I've learned about a lot of saints I didn't know about, and learned more
about some I thought I knew about. But the idea of saints competing I am
sure turns some people right off.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford