[Magdalen] Arkansas Catch-up.

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue Mar 21 22:27:22 UTC 2017

Roger said:

All of that said, pro-life should mean being supportive of all life and any
Roman Catholics supportive of capital punishment should read what their
Church's teaching is on the subject. Basically if they approve of capital
punishment then they are rejecting their Church's authoritative teaching.

Absolutely, Roger. Which is why the American so-called "pro-life" movement
is such a sham, in most cases. Most of those folks (yes, I know not all,
but most) are simply pro-birth. They couldn't possibly care any less what
happens to that child (or its mother) once it's born. They are generally
also pro-gun, pro-war, and pro-capital punishment. That would not be what I
would call "pro-LIFE" at all.

On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 6:02 PM, Roger Stokes <roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
> [...]

>> actually feels distress is open to debate (I tend to think they do, on
>> some
>> level, even though they are unconscious), but it is most certainly
>> unpleasant for the observers.
>>
>> Another problem has been venous access. Recently, many medical personnel
>> have been refusing to participate in executions on moral/religious
>> grounds.
>> This leaves the prisons with the problem of nobody with the ability to
>> place the IV catheter correctly so the drugs can be administered. In one
>> execution a few years ago, it was discovered *after the fact* that the IV
>> catheter had been improperly placed and that the drugs, which included a
>> potassium compound, had gone into the surrounding tissue instead. Anyone
>> who's ever had an IV containing potassium knows how that stuff can burn,
>> especially if your IV infiltrates. Add to that the problem that many
>> inmates on death row may have a history of IV drug abuse, which will muck
>> up your veins pretty badly, often to the point where there's no way an IV
>> is going in there at all. I'v tried to start IVs on people whose veins
>> have
>> been overused and abused, and there's no going there. No time, no way.
>>
>> And of course, the reason Arkansas, like other states, is panicking about
>> the expiration date of one of the drugs is that most American drug
>> companies are refusing to supply drugs for executions. Period. The end.
>> Funny how they get all moral about that, but don't mind signing your death
>> warrant (or impoverishing your family) if you've got cancer and can't
>> afford your chemo drug. /s
>>
>> Some state legislature (was it Mississippi?) just voted to re-establish
>> the
>> firing squad for executions. I suppose if you just *have* to have
>> executions, a firing squad is much more efficient than the current drug
>> overdose. I can't say what it does to or for the executioners, but I don't
>> think it's any more cruel and unusual. Maybe less so, in the long run.
>>
>> On Tue, Mar 21, 2017 at 2:51 PM, M J _Mike_ Logsdon <mjl at ix.netcom.com>
>> wrote:
>>
>> In April, Arkansas will conduct four double executions in the space of a
>>> ten-day period.
>>>
>>> I'm sorry, I said that wrong.
>>>
>>> In April, Arkansas will conduct four double state-sponsored murders in
>>> the
>>> space of a ten-day period.
>>>
>>> The reason for the haste, apparently, is the soon-upcoming expiration of
>>> one of the drugs in the three-drug cocktail.
>>>
>>> For the sake of those souls on the table, I pray that all three drugs
>>> work
>>> "properly", that staff knows what the hell they're doing (there hasn't
>>> been
>>> an execution in Arkansas since 2005), and that it all goes swiftly and
>>> without pain.
>>>
>>> What a country of moral degenerates America was, and in many states,
>>> is.  Death, death, death.  More guns!  No socialized healthcare!  More