[Magdalen] Icelandic (!?)

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon Mar 27 15:19:56 UTC 2017

I was flipping through television channels last night (Sunday
being a rather poor day for programming IMHO), and came
upon what appeared to be a sort of detective/crime movie
or episode.

The actors/actresses were not speaking English, and they
were doing a lot of mumbling.  As I listened, there was a
vague familiarity in the dialog, and then I realized they must
be speaking in a Scandinavian language, but what?

I knew this was not Swedish or Norwegian, and I thought
maybe this was Danish which sounds like Norwegian with
a mouth full of marbles.

Then the subtitles gave me the clue:  This was an Icelandic
film.  I didn't know they had a film industry in Iceland, but  they
apparently do.

What fun to listen to what is actually Old Norse.

David S.