[Magdalen] More weather

sally.davies at gmail.com sally.davies at gmail.com
Mon May 1 06:01:10 UTC 2017

Praying for rain here too. The Western Cape (including Cape Town) has empty
dams and ours are critically low. Upcountry, where there was drought last
year, the dams are full TBTG. But our local Govt applied to be a disaster
zone. Cape Town is talking about tapping the giant aquifer under Table
Mountain and maybe desalination...what we will do in Eastern Cape if it
doesn't rain I don't know. Their rain season is winter, but we can't count
on that here.

Regarding containers....We had a tree in a clay pot that grew too large. We
knocked the bottom out of the pot and put it on some good, dug through
ground. All well, tree has more than doubled in size even on our sandy
subsoil. Summerstrand is basically dunes!

I have five rose bushes in containers, two terra-cotta, two ceramic and one
is a half wine barrel. All fine, we water with buckets saved from the house
and feed with "worm wee" from a thriving earthworm "farm.". This townhouse
has a fully paved yard back and front, so no grass thank heavens.

We save buckets from the washing machine to wash the front yard bricks (2
dogs in yard) and it works so well, smell is gone! Ariel laundry liquid!

Prayers for rain ongoing in all churches...we may get some later today, but
most important is rain in the catchment areas inland. Rain here is nice for
us but will mostly end up in the sea.

Sally D

Sally D