[Magdalen] stuck at the drawbridge

Charles Wohlers charles.wohlers at verizon.net
Wed May 3 18:50:04 UTC 2017

Coal is just about the worst thing one can use to make electricity. It's
about half as efficient than natural gas (emits twice as much CO2 as natural
gas per energy generated). And it's dirty - everything in coal that's not
carbon (and there's quite a bit of that) goes right up the smokestack into
the air, unless one takes special precautions to trap it - which, of course,
the owners of coal-fired power plants are loathe to do. Before the federal
government made them scrub it out, acid rain was a real problem, caused by
sulfur in burning coal. And coal-fired power plants emit more radiation than
do nuclear power plants, plus they're a major source of mercury in the air.

The sooner we can get rid of coal, the better.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA
chadwohl at satucket.com