[Magdalen] First fruits

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Tue May 16 23:43:36 UTC 2017

My upper deck mini farm has just produced its first harvest (other than
herbs, which it has been producing for a couple of weeks now)....baby
romaine lettuce leaves, for tonight's salad. Yum! And this week, now that
all danger of frost is past, I have planted a jalapeño pepper in a pot and
a cucumber in a hanging basket to go along with the cherry tomato in a
basket that I bought last weekend. I contemplated a zucchini in a basket
but am short one hook, also was tempted by a mini eggplant but we don't eat
that much eggplant. In the herb department, I have 3 kinds of basil
(Genovese, Thai, and purple), lemon thyme, sage, dill, rosemary, par-cel
aka cutting celery, chives which are perennial and now 6 years old,
oregano, 3 kinds of mint (peppermint, spearmint, and apple mint), lemon
balm, lemon verbena, and lavender--all in big pots, mixed in with flowers,
and on a deck measuring about 4 by 6 feet.