[Magdalen] Hymn choices...

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Mon May 29 15:21:55 UTC 2017

In a message dated 5/29/2017 9:34:52 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

as the  music director in a church, I had the say over all things
musical.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

Yes, but at the discretion of the rector of a parish who has the  ultimate
authority over music and liturgy.

That rule became TEC law many years ago when the paid, professional
vocal quartets had gained so much power that they became perceived
as trouble makers.

I've seen some of that in my years, but I've also seen a church  choir,
professional and amateur alike save a parish.  Such has been the
story at the local Procathedral, a downtown parish with a diminishing
membership.  The music program there is so good, and the choir
members so active in all aspects of parish outreach, that they have
so far succeeded in keeping the Procathedral alive and well.  I have  no
doubt that without the choir, that parish would be history.

David Strang.