[Magdalen] Hymn choices...

sheila ketler ketbears at yahoo.com
Mon May 29 18:12:43 UTC 2017

So when I worked for all of the three Anglican parishes I had the music selection in hand. The priest just looked thelist over and rarely changed anything. However we never did what this woman is doing and I think this is inappropriate... Now she is working for an Anglican Parish I wonder what they allow her to do. The thing is she is onlyon a year contract which is half over and they may decide not to keep her then she will be back where I am and I willbe out of work again... I keep looking but there isn't anything around here work-wise in Anglican churches becausewe are closing churches which means less and less organists needed and some churches use keyboards... and other instruments and do contemporary service words on wall no prayer books etc. etc.

    On Monday, May 29, 2017 10:06 AM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com> wrote:

 David, I wasn't commenting on the rules about music in the liturgy; I was just comparing my two experiences.
I know I was fortunate to have been given full responsibility for the music when I was music director; the priest knew I was qualified to select music in keeping with the Lectionary, etc.
Many, many of my musician friends enjoy the same autonomy, but I know that's not universal, especially in some other denominations.