[Magdalen] Hymn choices...

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Mon May 29 18:20:40 UTC 2017

Yes, as you both say, the priest has final say -- and occasionally I do
have a preference regarding hymns and/or service music, and might
tentatively even request/suggest an anthem.  But my first position was with
an organist who did it all, and as a priest who is not a musician (though I
love music), it was a great gift to have an organist/choirmaster/music
director who knew Anglican music and had a good feel for scripture,
liturgical seasons, and liturgy as a whole.  When I went to Tennessee I was
dismayed to have an organist who was a very gifted instrumentalist, but had
none of the "Anglican" or liturgical sense that I had experienced and taken
for granted!  I also had to select hymns, which was a lot of work for a
non-musician (I was thrilled when we purchased "The Rite Stuff," which had
good suggestions and built-in "tune previews," so I could identify whether
the congregation would know and be able to sing it).  Imagine my great
delight, when I began serving as extended supply in my current parish, that
the same organist I'd initially served with, was now the music director at
Good Shepherd!  What a gift.  She recently retired, and since I'm not in
charge at all, I can only hope that the wardens (both choir members) and
vestry will have the sense to pick someone equally gifted and knowledgeable.

Ann

The Rev. Ann Markle
Buffalo, NY
ann.markle at aya.yale.edu

On Mon, May 29, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Grace Cangialosi <gracecan at gmail.com>
wrote:

> David, I wasn't commenting on the rules about music in the liturgy; I was
> just comparing my two experiences.
> I know I was fortunate to have been given full responsibility for the
> music when I was music director; the priest knew I was qualified to select
> music in keeping with the Lectionary, etc.
> Many, many of my musician friends enjoy the same autonomy, but I know
> that's not universal, especially in some other denominations.

Virus-free.
www.avg.com
<#DAB4FAD8-2DD7-40BB-A1B8-4E2AA1F9FDF2>