[Magdalen] Theological and Liturgical Tidbits - St. John's Abbey.

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Nov 9 15:41:20 UTC 2017

I'm still a big 1979 BCP fan and pretty much pray its offices the same way
we pray them in church (I'm the EP officiant on alternating Wednesdays). I
have even greater regard for the 1979 psalter after reading Chester
Johnson's new book Auden, the Psalms, and Me, about W H Auden's work on the
psalter retranslation committee.

I laughed when I read Auden's quote about the Grail psalter (one of the
translations considered for the 1979 BCP until they decided to do a new
translation). The Grail tries to reproduce some aspects of the original
Hebrew poetic style but in English. Auden's opinion was that the Grail
translators "knew Hebrew but when it came to English, they didn't know
their a*se from a hole in the ground." Harsh!

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA