[Magdalen] Thanksgiving Greetings

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Fri Nov 24 19:49:47 UTC 2017

We haven't got Wegman's or Kroger (although I've heard a rumor that Kroger
may have bought Mariano's from the Roundy company in Milwaukee...will have
to investigate), but out in the Chicago suburbs and Wisconsin there's
Woodman's, an employee-owned chain of gargantuan supermarkets. Imagine an
over-sized Walmart Supercenter that's food and groceries only. Just
gigantic. I've been to the one in Carpentersville, Illinois, and we loaded
up a cart full of stuff only to be told at the register that they accept no
credit cards. (!) I never understand that: yes, credit cards mean fees per
transaction, but I'd think the added sales volume from accepting credit
cards would much more than cover that cost. Anyway, Woodman's stores look
quite dated, with 70s-style paneling and really no decoration of any kind,
but they have absolutely everything you're looking for. I sought one
particular cereal and expressed surprise that I couldn't find it, and an
employee cheerfully told me I'd seen only one aisle out of five or six
cereal aisles.

--
Scott R. Knitter
Edgewater, Chicago, Illinois USA