[Magdalen] In South Carolina, it ain't over yet

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Nov 25 19:25:10 UTC 2017

On 25/11/2017 18:46, ME Michaud wrote:
> We remember:
> wasn’t Mark Lawrence’s election affirmed by the HOB?
> We can’t look away, we can’t walk away,
> we all share responsibility for this situation.

The consents came at the second attempt. The first time Lawrence was
elected there were insufficient consents from Bishops with jurisdiction
and from Standing Committees within the prescribed time-limit. As a
result that election lapsed as being unconfirmed. There then followed a
second "election" with the powers that be in the then diocese having
such a curtailed period for nominations that it was not possible for
those who opposed Lawrence to put forward a rival candidate so he was
elected unopposed. Faced with that determination by the diocese, and I
believe Lawrence was saying at the time that he would not take the
diocese out of TEC, the requisite consents were given as there seemed to
be no alternative.

Roger