[Magdalen] Pastoral care

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Wed Nov 29 07:27:56 UTC 2017

My experience is that there are people involved in the pastoral care who
have or develop a close tie to one or more of the people being visited. If
they were friends before, these folks just take that friendship home to the
person who can't get out, and these folks would visit quite often, just to
visit.
I think it also greatly depends on the personality of the ill person. I
still fondly remember bringing communion to a lady who did not really
strike me as old, although she had been an adult when James Pike was our
rector, which goes way back. Probably she simply had a lot of positive
feelings and a lot of energy despite not being able to get out as much as
she would have liked. I recall we talked about Bishop Pike and his times
for about an hour, and then we had communion.
People of this type will have others wanting to visit them.
The pastoral care folks met informally and talked about who might need more
visits, who was not comfortable now seeing anyone, etc. They were a very
caring and sensitive group.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford