[Magdalen] Pastoral care

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Wed Nov 29 10:20:55 UTC 2017

On 29/11/2017 00:52, James Handsfield wrote:
> St. Bede’s, Atlanta, has a Share the Care group which coordinates with clergy for pastoral needs.  Daughters of the King maintains the St. Bede’s prayer request list and also coordinates with clergy.

Sometimes people will benefit from two different kinds of visit - one
the friendship and practical support of a lay person and one the
spiritual care of a cleric. I recall one elderly parishioner telling me
that she had said to a friend from the church "I am ready to die" and
the response was "Oh, don't say that". She could say that to me as her
priest and I understood. Her life was very limited with no prospect of
improvement and she looked forward to release from the frustrations of
her daily life. On the other hand I did not have the memories she could
share with a friend in the same areaa she had known for decades. Both
types of support were needed.

> But remember - someone has to report the need.  None of these entities is clairvoyant.

and any special instructions on visiting. I was taken to task in a
Church Council (vestry) meeting for not visiting a particular housebound
parishioner. I had been round twice but there had been no response and
said so. "You have to ring in advance so she knows to come downstairs" I
was told.

Roger