[Magdalen] From American Public Media.

M J _Mike_ Logsdon mjl at ix.netcom.com
Thu Nov 30 18:58:57 UTC 2017

>>>Well, Keillor is definitely bath water; I always thought he was a little
creepy. But I’m guessing he may have a copyright on The Writers Almanac,
and so it (which I definitely agree is “the baby “) can’t continue
independent of him.<<<

So far, indications are he'll continue the Almanac, as it's syndicated, and it's only APM that's dumped it.  And I can't believe the overhead is all that high.  Either he or a minion has been guilty of some pretty crappy write-ups every now and then.  Gilda Radner's birthday honored without a single reference to her cancer OR Gene Wilder?  And yesterday's about C S Lewis.  Jeez.  "He grew up in a big house out in the country."  Not exactly.  "He studied at Oxford University, and then became a professor there."  False.  Tutor at Oxford, professor at Cambridge.  "It was around that time that Lewis and Tolkien began meeting regularly with a group of friends who became known as 'The Inklings.' ...  Each week they gathered midday in a back room at the Eagle and Child pub (which they called the Bird and Baby) for food, cider, and informal conversation."  "Cider"?!  "The serious literary events occurred each Thursday evening in Lewis's apartment...."  "Apartment"?  Palm to forehead.

M J (Mike) Logsdon.

"Aaugh[.]" -- Charles Brown.
"Avoid dull needles and use a soft cloth." -- E Kovacs.