[Magdalen] RIP Tom Petty

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Oct 3 15:01:15 UTC 2017

In a message dated 10/3/2017 10:24:51 A.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

David,  I’d never heard of him, either, until yesterday. But then, I’ve
never kept up  with the rock music world.

Amen.

I grew up liking the prevailing jazz popular music, much  interpreted
through the "Big Bands".  I recall the adulation given to  appearances
of such as Benny Goodman, Tommy and Jimmy Dorsey, Duke
Ellington, etc. on the UW-Madison Campus.  It was almost like  that
given the Beatles a generation later.

But when I heard rock and realized it was replacing the music that
had been popular from WW-1 through WW-2, I opted out and into
the waiting arms of classical music.

David S.