[Magdalen] RIP Tom Petty

Grace Cangialosi gracecan at gmail.com
Tue Oct 3 17:11:40 UTC 2017

Ayer I was actually in the arms of classical music from the Time I was 8–was a terrible music snob even in high school. I remember lying on my stomach on a rug on the living room floor in front of the record player, listening to the “Emperor” Concerto over and over! It was on 78’s, and it was years before I realized that the beginning of the second movement was missing! It was also a long time before I learned who Horowitz was!

At the same time I had a piano teacher who would take me to the Community Concerts when they came to our small town. I heard Aldo Ciccolini and Samuel Sanders, among other pianists and saw the ballerina Maria Slenczenska (sp?).
Years later an uncle said he doubted seriously that Ciccolini had been there—until I showed him the program from my scrapbook!