[Magdalen] today's SUPREMES NYTimes

Scott Knitter scottknitter at gmail.com
Thu Oct 5 13:32:49 UTC 2017

> I suppose one antidote to gerrymandering might be a German Bundestag-style
system in which each district (logically drawn to contain a prescribed
consistent number of people and be contiguous and respect the geography)
elects a member of half of the House; the other half is made up of party
members apportioned exactly according to a second vote on the same ballot,
but for a party not a candidate. So we'd have nearly a 1,000-member house
(Germany has 800 this time around, I think), and on Election Day each of us
would mark our ballot twice for the House: once for our district
representative and once for our favorite party (which can be different than
the party of our own representative). The party half of the House would
reflect nationwide party totals.

Or just have advanced computer modeling come up with the fairest possible
district boundaries, reviewed and administered by an independent
nonpartisan commission, perhaps a national one. I know: "just."