[Magdalen] Prayers

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 9 17:27:51 UTC 2017

In a message dated 9/9/2017 12:38:08 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
pdan.brittain at gmail.com writes:

A song  about the 1928 Okeechobee Hurricane​ from The Colored Sacred Harp.
Written  by Judge Jackson compiler of the book (Judge was his name, rather
than a  title - I knew his son Japeth; I think Japeth died about 10  years
ago.)

Even George Gershwin couldn't resist the drama of a hurricane
in his opera, "Porgy and Bess."  There's a section in that opera
featuring a hurricane in the Charleston, SC area which is where
the opera is set.  There's some wonderful gospel jazz singing
by the entire cast.

The Met revived Porgy and Bess about 30 years ago, and it was
a treasure.

David S.

http://search.aol.com/aol/video?q=porgy+and+bess+hurricane+scene+you+tube&s_
it=video-ans&sfVid=true&videoId=8E8140D174E905BA07CB8E8140D174E905BA07CB&v_t
=keyword_rollover