[Magdalen] Olympics

Ann Markle ann.markle at aya.yale.edu
Wed Sep 13 23:01:46 UTC 2017

The publicity in Barcelona is that the Olympics transformed the city for
the better -- turning it into the cosmopolitan, "world city" that it is
today, and educating the citizenry to be "ambassadors" (their word). It was
my experience that Barcelona was beautiful, as well as easily accessible
and incredibly friendly. Perhaps the opportunity is there to be seized, and
cities can choose to use the opportunity to grow and flourish -- or not.
Gee, sounds like people, doesn't it? Still, I certainly don't blame people
for passing on opportunities for growth, if they have a choice.

On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 4:08 PM Scott Knitter <scottknitter at gmail.com>
wrote:

> I think it makes sense to rotate the Olympics among the cities that have
> hosted the Games before and still have the facilities and plans, or at
> least a good part of them.
>
> I used to have the PDFs of Chicago's lovely "bid books" for the Olympics.
> Made one proud of this place. But I'm glad we didn't win. Still, the IOC
> chairman could have pretended to be a little less enthusiastic about
> eliminating Chicago. He seemed like he couldn't wait to make that
> announcement.
>
> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=whsRhO0O0QE
>
> On Wed, Sep 13, 2017 at 1:56 PM, Charles Wohlers <chadwohl at satucket.com>
> wrote:
>
> > You're just lucky Chicago didn't get it. Just read that it cost Rio
> double
> > what was budgeted - IIRC, 13 billion. Boston was proposed for the 2024
> > Olympics until a big uproar put a stop to that.
> >
> > The reason they announced the 2024 and 2028 Olympics is that those were
> > the only two cities which were interested. Hosting the Olympics is
> > extremely expensive with little return, so it's becoming harder and
> harder
> > to find cities which want to do it.
>
> --
Ann