[Magdalen] Olympics

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Thu Sep 14 10:06:00 UTC 2017

On 14/09/2017 00:01, Ann Markle wrote:
> The publicity in Barcelona is that the Olympics transformed the city for
> the better -- turning it into the cosmopolitan, "world city" that it is
> today, and educating the citizenry to be "ambassadors" (their word). It was
> my experience that Barcelona was beautiful, as well as easily accessible
> and incredibly friendly. Perhaps the opportunity is there to be seized, and
> cities can choose to use the opportunity to grow and flourish -- or not.
> Gee, sounds like people, doesn't it? Still, I certainly don't blame people
> for passing on opportunities for growth, if they have a choice.

In London it was the stimulus to redevelop a run down part of East
London. Most of the facilities have been remodelled since then and the
setting is now the Olympic Park. It also coincided with the opening of
HS1, the high speed rail line to the Channel Tunnel and a new station,
Stratford International, was built to serve the area. The name imp[lied
dirst services to Paris and Brussels. I don't know if any ran during the
Olympics but now it is only used for domestic services.

Roger