[Magdalen] To the chemists among us...What You Need To Know AboutNALED (Dibrom)

Charles Wohlers chadwohl at satucket.com
Fri Sep 15 01:29:32 UTC 2017

Replying here finally - "recovering" from a 6-mile, 1400' elevation gain,
hike up (& down) Middle Mt., which is north of Island Pond, near the Quebec
border.

The link you provide is, firstly, designed to make people afraid of naled.
It is not dispassionate, to say the least. The studies referenced mostly are
of other organophosphates, not naled. I wouldn't put much faith in it. A
Google search gives two reasonable sources - Wikipedia and one from Cornell.
The Cornell article does make it sound scary (under the section "Acute
Toxicity"), but remember the concentrations mentioned are all very high - do
take note of Jim Handsfield's response. One good thing noted is that it
decomposes very quickly once it comes in contact with any water, so, once
sprayed, it won't stick around.

I'm not so sure about the EPA article on Naled at the top of the Google
search results - it seems designed to put you at ease about the stuff.

EEE is fairly rare, but can be quite dangerous if you contract it - it does
kill people. It was a yearly problem back in Mass., and aerial spraying was
done some years, about this time of year. It think malathion was used, and I
don't recall adverse affects.

That said, organophosphates can be nasty and they can affect mammals like
us - albeit at fairly high concentrations. Just this week the lead article
in C&E News (the news magazine of the American Chemical Soc.) was on
chlorpyrifos, another widely-used organophosphate which the EPA was about to
ban on food crops, before Trump was elected - now they've put that off. You
can read the article here: http://cen.acs.org/magazine/95/09536.html. It is
a good example of balanced reporting, unlike the one you provided.

My sense is that problems may arise from this spraying, but, if so, it would
very likely be because somebody screwed up - sprayed it in the wrong place
or at too high a concentration.

Hope all this helps a bit.

Chad Wohlers
Woodbury, VT USA