[Magdalen] Disused.

Roger Stokes roger.stokes65 at btinternet.com
Sat Sep 16 22:29:16 UTC 2017

On 16/09/2017 18:21, Cantor03--- via Magdalen wrote:
> Abandoned and picturesquely decaying churches have been common
> in Europe, perhaps no where more frequently than in the UK mostly
> secondary to the ravages of the Reformation.

The Reformation led to the loss of many of the great abbeys in this
country. However the falling into disuse of parish churches is due to
other factors, notably the lack of congregations to maintain them. This
could have been villages becoming depopulated due to changes of farming
methods such as landowners discovering that sheep were more profitable
and needed fewer people to care for them than arable farming required in
pre-mechanisation days. In towns a different situation applied. The
model was still for a priest and a parish caring for a relatively small
population just as in rural areas but in towns the concentration of
people meant numerous very small parishes. Just look at Norwich for the
number of ancient churches there are there, many of which have now been
repurposed for other uses.

In this small town of Bedford we had medieval churches within a
quarter-mile of each other Three were closed in the 1970's - one became
the local Polish language Catholic church, another an archaeological
centre while the third was a hall for a local girls' school but is now,
I believe, unused after the closure of the school through amalgamation
with another girls' school under the same ownership. It is still argued,
with some justification, that we have at least one church too many.

Roger