[Magdalen] Disused.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Sat Sep 16 17:21:49 UTC 2017

Abandoned and picturesquely decaying churches have been common
in Europe, perhaps no where more frequently than in the UK mostly
secondary to the ravages of the Reformation.

There is, however, the moldering of what I think quite correctly is
described as the largest Methodist church in the Midwest USA - the
City Methodist Church of Gary, Indiana.  I've only seen one
such Methodist church in the USA that is as large, and that is the
Duke University chapel in Durham, NC.

The collegiate gothic revival building still demonstrates an  absolutely
splendid design with timber vaulting, window tracery of the late
Decorated/Early Perpendicular style, and enormous round pillars
a la Durham Cathedral and Tewksbury Abbey, etc.  There is little
remaining glass, and the large Aeolian-Skinner pipe organ is gone,
the latter just a bit mysteriously.

It's a real tragedy, but I guess we can't save them all.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/City_Methodist_Church_(Gary,_Indiana)#/media/File:City_Methodist_Church,_Gary.jpg

David S.