[Magdalen] Viet Nam Series.

Cantor03 at aol.com Cantor03 at aol.com
Wed Sep 20 04:13:19 UTC 2017

In a message dated 9/19/2017 10:54:17 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time,
gracecan at gmail.com writes:

I don't  have TV, so I can't watch it. But even if I could, I'm not sure
I'd watch. It  doesn't really feel like history yet, and it seems as if I saw
most of it when  it was going  on.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

I felt that way in the late 1980's when I discovered that the instructor
of the University of Scranton course on the Viet Nam War (2  semesters)
was a patient of mine at the VAMC.  Then I realized the War was
history, and I might as well come to grips with it.

Tonight the 2 hour program touched on the gradually enlarging
undercurrent of protests, led by the more radical college campuses.
I know that even though I was fighting the Viet Nam War in Germany,
I was there because of that War, and I was pretty much indoctrinated
into the official military attitude that serving in the Army was my  duty.
I read with considerable horror the transformation of my own   Alma
Mater (UW-Madison) into a venue for frequent demonstrations
which too often became violent.

That culminated with the bombing of the UW Army Mathematics Center
in August, 1970.  I attended a Badger football game that autumn,
and was shocked and sickened by the boarded up building along
the main drag, State Street in Madison and also the fresh bomb hole
in Sterling Hall where I had math and physics years before.

There was a real dichotomy at the time.  I had just returned from  more
than 3 years active duty as a Major, US Army Medical Corps, with
a fresh military outlook, and my college was rioting in the streets.

David S.