[Magdalen] 60 Years Ago Today

James Oppenheimer-Crawford oppenheimerjw at gmail.com
Mon Apr 16 06:36:37 UTC 2018

Reminds me of Virgil Fox, a great showman, but even more astounding
organist. Every time I've listened to him, the music has incredible drive
and passion, and his talking is just filled with the utter joy of getting
to do what he loved.  He was so ecstatic that his concerts were attracting
a lot of young people.

The kids could tell that all of his mannerisms were hopelessly conventional
and stodgy, but they genuinely didn't care, because the obvious passion he
had for the music sucked them right in.  No telling how many young folks
got their intro into Bach through Virgil, God be good to him.

James W. Oppenheimer-Crawford