[Magdalen] St. Martins and nearby in Houston / was -Re: Funeral Service at Saint Martin's, Houston.

Lynn Ronkainen houstonklr at gmail.com
Sat Apr 21 21:27:13 UTC 2018

St. Martin's building that today's service was held in dates to about
2003/4. It was based cathedrals from Germany and France. Several years after
it was finished it installed all of the stained glass at one time - the
largest order of stained glass ever, an article in the Houston Chronicle
said and the price (which I can't remember exactly) seemed over the top.  It
replaced a building dating from the '50s, as it was founded in 1952, that
had become too small for the congregation at the time and now numbers 9,000.
This parish became, over time, a conservative voice in TEC and especially in
Dio TX. Bishop Wimberly, called as an 'assisting' Bishop to Dio TX several
years after he left Louisville KY (and was a candidate for PB when Frank G
was elected).  He was then elected our Diocesan a few years later, just as
the sexuality issues began to be unable to be ignored. I did have great
admiration for him when he told his diocesan flock that no one would 'walk'
away, and no one did. That did not prevent 'division' within but it did hold
us together during his tenure and beyond. He also worked to bring all of the
TEC Bishops together to meet once a year, the first few meetings taking
place at 'Camp Allen' our Diocesan 'camp' and conference center (which
itself has since grown much larger), and these meetings are still held
annually AFAIK.  We currently have 4 Bishops - +Andy Doyle (diocesan), and 3
suffragans: +Deena, +Jeff and +Hector.

Interesting overview with photos:
http://www.structuremag.org/wp-content/uploads/2014/09/D-Spotlight-St-Martins-Church1.pdf

Located less than a mile from 'The Galleria", famed giant mall finished in
1970 has several giant anchor stores (Neiman Marcus  being one), and
Tiffany, and more. It is 3 stories high (with the exception of a brand name
high rise hotel (has changed names several times in the 30 years I've lived
here)also in the mix all connected, a full size ice rink on the below ground
level (1) and significant underground parking.  The Galleria 'area', at the
time it was built had both residential neighborhoods and office buildings
already nearby so There were plenty of people who lived and worked in the
area where St. Martin's grew itself.  The Galleria area has changed a lot in
the last 10 years with major development of a number  high rise condos and
newly re-done strip centers EVERYWHERE. Residential property in the general
vicinity of the Galleria & St. Martins area is in the millions. Many
'neighborhoods'/subdivisions are private and gated now, after some of their
'deed restrictions' became unconstitutional. A bit further out, some of the
'neighborhoods' incorporated into 'towns' so they could have their own
schools and governance - a 'sovereign' town within the cit of Houston - I'll
leave you to decide why that was done in the '60s ...

I still wonder about using resources this way....
Lynn