[Magdalen] Temps Perdue

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 22:24:31 UTC 2018

I have at least four very early memories. The earliest is of standing on my
tippy-toes, holding onto a the side of a baby carriage and peering down at
the baby inside it as an adult voice, possibly my grandma's, said, "This is
your cousin Judy." It was during Christmas at my grandparents', with whom
we lived during WWII, and my Uncle Bill had come home for Christmas with
his wife Carol and their baby daughter. Judy was one year and two days
younger than I and we were extremely close during our growing-up years.
When I related that memory to my mother she was surprised because no one
had ever told me of it, to her knowledge, and I was eighteen months old at
the time. Another memory I have of about that time, but probably several
months later, is of sitting on the floor at my other grandmother's house,
playing with some scarves and a bracelet while my mother and grandmother
and a couple of other ladies gossiped above me. One of the ladies, I am
pretty sure to this day, was my grandmother's friend Mrs. Foot, whose name
always made me giggle.(No, it didn't have an e on the end!) A third memory
is of the day I said my first sentence. Not of saying, "I saw Mrs. Gulick's
red setter," but of that beautiful red dog against the woman's dark green
coat. And the last in the series is probably that spring at Easter, and
standing on a chair to reach over to a basket of Easter eggs. I seem to
recall that I was wearing a yellow dress.