[Magdalen] Alfie Evans has died

ME Michaud michaudme at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 17:05:16 UTC 2018

I do remember it. IIRC she was originally placed in state custody because
Children’s Hospital suspected her parents of abuse and sought to separate
them during the investigation. Children’s has dealt with this sort of thing
before, of course (like Munchausen-by-proxy), so they’re probably more
vigilant than a community hospital would ever be.

Her parents needed better legal representation, but fell into the hands of
the pro-life lobby instead. And that put everybody’s back up.

Once upon a time I used to attend the hospital’s monthly patient advocacy
meetings. One of the rules was social workers, nurses, physicians,
chaplains, even librarians were all co-equal and the discussions were very
open and free-wheeling. The meetings were videotaped. I know how hard
everybody worked on these cases. People asked questions (both real and
rhetorical), people acknowledged mistakes, suggested changes in protocols.
Each case was like an epic poem! Hard serious work. I always came away
shocked and awed,
-M