[Magdalen] Alfie Evans has died

Jay Weigel jay.weigel at gmail.com
Mon Apr 30 22:03:07 UTC 2018

The problem with Justina's case, as I understood it, was that her regular
doctor, who had been treating both her and her sister for several years,
was not on staff at Boston Children's, and Children's refused to give him
courtesy privileges. Her case was taken over by a psychiatrist who believed
that her symptoms were "all in her head". The former figure skater got
worse and worse while on the psych unit untreated. IIRC, eventually
something came to light about collusion between this psychiatrist, the
judge in the case who placed Justina in state custody, and children who
came in from out of state to BCH as she did (because they were closer to
BCH, or because they were referred there). I read an update about Justina a
few months ago. She is now in a wheelchair most of the time and receiving
physical therapy to help her walk again. Absolutely the parents needed
better legal representation, but geez.