[Magdalen] Any Swedish speakers in the house?

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Dec 4 18:19:48 UTC 2018

There was a Swedish Baptist Church just across the street from myfamily home in NW Wisconsin USA.  This denomination was dominant
among the ethnic Swedes in that area, and there were few SwedishLutheran churches.  These latter were considered much too high church andclergy oriented by the Baptists.
The Swedish custom of Julotta was preserved by the offshoot Baptists,however.  This meant getting up very early in the morning of ChristmasDay for an extended carol sing at the church.
I understand Julotta has given way to a Midnight Mass in the SwedishLutheran churches.  It seems as though much of liturgical Christianityhas also gone high church.
My mother, birth Norwegian Lutheran that she was, was always dismissiveof these "crazy Swedes" who were parking everywhere and making a lotof noise.  Norwegian ethnics, by far more numerous than the Swedishethnics, had their "Little Christmas" with plenty of in church carol singing
on the 23rd December.  Christmas Eve and Christmas Day were for familyactivities, not church.

David Strang.