[Magdalen] State Funeral

Simon Kershaw simon at kershaw.org.uk
Fri Dec 7 15:26:50 UTC 2018

And being a little pedantic (who, me?) a "peal" is getting on for 3
hours of ringing, consisting of 5000 or so changes -- so each bell
sounding 5000 times. If it's less than that it isn't a peal.

Why 5000? Because ringers try to ring as many different permutations of
the order of bells as possible. On 2 bells there are only two patterns:
a followed by b, or b followed by a; on 3 bells there are 6 -- abc, bac,
bca, cba, cab, acb; on 4 there are 24 (= 4x3x2x1 = 4 factorial or 4!);
on 5 there are 120 combinations (= 5x4x3x2x1 = 5!); on 6 it's 720 (=
6!); on 7 it's 5040 (= 7!). Ringers call this number the "extent" on
that number of bells.

On 7 or fewer bells a peal is 5040 changes, and on 8 or more bills this
is rounded to 5000.

The time taken to ring an extent goes up rather quickly: on tower bells
(as opposed to handbells) from a few seconds on 2 bells, and a few 10s
of seconds on 3 or 4, to two or three minutes on 5, say 20 minutes on 6,
and getting on for three hours on 7. This is the largest "extent" that
is practicable to ring.

After that you're into silly numbers: nearly 24 hours on 8 (which has in
fact been done two or three times in history), then getting on for 9
days on 9 bells, three months on 10, three years on 11, and 30 years or
so on 12. You are way into the realms of impossibility after that, given
that ringers insist that the same people ring the same bells all the
time without outside assistance.

simon

--
Simon Kershaw