[Magdalen] Dio. Of Virginia

Ginga Wilder gingawilder at gmail.com
Mon Dec 10 01:06:33 UTC 2018

South Carolina has had two provisional bishops since the schism in 2012.
Rt. Rev. Charles vonRosenberg, retired of E.TN (known to Ann) and Rt. Rev.
Gladstone "Skip" Adams, retired of CNY.  Bp vonRosenberg helped SC
reorganize an Episcopal diocese in SC after Mark Lawrence took most of
local TEC congregations out of the church.  (This is still being
litigated.)  Bp Adams has continued to shepherd TECSC and has firmed up our
organizational needs.  Both of these bishops work/ed parttime.  The
Episcopal Church has rules of tenure for provisional bishops...like 2.5
years with a possible one-time extension.  I do believe a provisional
bishop must already be a bishop when called to a diocese.  The most notable
difference with a provisional bishop is that s/he is a is hired by the
diocese, thus can be discharged by the standing committee if things don't
work out well.  I'm not sure this would work well in conflicted dioceses.

This is probably an itchy question, but is it possible for Dio of VA to be
divided into two smaller dioceses?  The job seems so overwhelming and huge
with the number of churches included in VA.  Yeah, I said itchy....I
understand many would not want to consider this.

The other thing is I agree totally that the truth of what has gone on to
create the present unpleasantness in the diocese needs to be told to
Episcopalians there.  Perhaps the diocese would need to have certain skills
in its next bishop?  But, if secrets are being kept from the general
members, that is just playing the same stuff into the future and that ain't
healthy!

Blessings all.
Ginga

Virus-free.