[Magdalen] Sing We Now of Christmas.

cantor03 at aol.com cantor03 at aol.com
Tue Dec 25 04:33:19 UTC 2018

I took the time this evening, since I'm not going to a Midnight Mass/Vigil Liturgyto watch the L&C services from two small private PA colleges , both about 60miles to my west.  I must say I was surprised at the size and expertise of thechoirs and school orchestras, and the sophisticated program of seasonalchoral and instrumental music.  Having degrees from two large (both well over40,000 students) state universities, I tend to overlook these smaller schools.That's obviously a mistake on my part.  The schools are Bucknell andSusquehanna Universities.
The third and final choral concert (there were no scriptural  lessons) was
from the famous Saint Olaf College at Northfield, MN with which I am quitefamiliar.  The four Saint Olaf choirs participating are getting so large, thatwith the full school symphony orchestra the entire assemblage must be onthe order of 700 participants.  The basketball arena where these concertsare held is getting too small for them even though they do several identical
concerts each Christmas.  This was all well done, and ended with theirtrademark "Beautiful Savior" arranged by F. Melius Christiansen.  The
audience waits for this finale, and I can guarantee there isn't a dry eye inthe crowd including me.  This has become sort of the "national" anthem of theUpper Midwest.
This all puts me really "in the mood."
Tomorrow in the morning it's the Mormon Tabernacle Choir Christmas.

David S.